Exposing IAM Lies
Machinists Get It Wrong on Health Care
The Machinists have once again gotten it wrong and made false promises—this time on something as important as health care. They suggest they can deliver a no-cost HMO option to Continental workers.
- However, a careful review of the IAM contract, although very detailed and specific (pages 71-87), makes no mention of any current 2011 options including the no- cost HMO. It talks about a healthcare plan from 2003. IAM Out of Touch.
- The current healthcare options that UAL employees have are company provided—not Machinist negotiated. IAM Lying!
- The other workgroups at UAL have the same options as the ramp, including Teamster represented UAL mechanics. Why can't the Machinists take credit for something they have actually done for the ramp group? IAM doing nothing!
- Under Section 12.K of our new Continental Fleet Service Teamster contract, we might be eligible for current UAL health benefits once the National Mediation Board makes its single-carrier ruling. Section 12.K requires that our fleet service members will be “eligible to participate in those benefit programs that have been established as company-wide programs”; if, post-merger, there is an HMO program available to legacy UAL employees, it should also be made available to Continental workers. Our attorneys are reviewing our options and we will keep you posted.
- The HMO is just one option for UAL workers who generally pay as much or more for their regular PPO coverage than CAL workers. The CAL “cafeteria style” choose-what-works-best-for-you plan offers more options at less cost than the UAL PPO plan.
- In order for the Machinists to deliver a free HMO option—or anything for that matter—they need to win an election (won’t happen) and then negotiate a strong contract (won’t happen—they can’t even get to a contract with UAL now!).